Thursday, November 4, 2010

Step 9: Have Something to Look Forward to



Well, it's two days before the Walk and I am pretty excited. My friends and family have been so supportive, it really warms my heart. There's something about having a thing that gets you out of bed and out of yourself. Something that you can put your whole being into, your soul.

What I've noticed, is when I don't have something to look forward to I can get a little lost. I'm very goal/outcome oriented, so I need milestones that fold into a larger goal that feels attainable to me. Looking forward to the walk over the last month has gotten me outside, helped me accept some things about myself - which improve my outlook on my health and my life.

I've looked at other Lupus blogs, both personal and informational. I've been drinking aloe juice, adopted more of an anti-inflammatory diet. I've walked on a cane and even on a walker OUTSIDE (quaintly named Little Red Corvette). I've increased awareness to my circle about having Lupus in the first place. A lot has been done in a short amount of time.

Here's the good news: the Walk is a catalyst for learning to be patient with myself; to take things one step a at time. It's a reminder that I have this opportunity everyday, and that in between painful days and smaller goals, I need to celebrate. I need to look forward to something bigger than myself. I need to have a prize to keep my eye on; something to rally around. So, what does this mean after the Walk? It means that there are other "Walks" to be had and participate in. There are other things that I can commit to and do my best around. It's really just about finding those things.

And I've noticed that in various forms of people who are happy, and/or healthy, and/or well-adjusted. They have something that drives them to be great. It may be just making sure their kids don't have a sick mom, or helping other people know what alternative treatments are available; or even that no matter what, there is hope. That's pretty powerful, no matter how you feel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment