Monday, October 11, 2010

Step 6: Getting Through the Thick of Things


The last few days have been very interesting. Something happens when you're in pain for a long period of time. For me, there's a place where things get to be too much physically. Swollen, tender joints, lack of sleep, etc., all that stuff adds up after a while. Add PMS to the mix and sometimes I'm shaking my fists to the sky screaming, "For real??!!!" I definitely try not to focus on the pain; but sometimes it's really intense.

I had been looking forward to going to see the Dalai Lama with my big cousin Bryan for the last two weeks. I knew it would be good for me to get out the house and also to see the Dalai Lama speak. I took a couple of Naprosyn (anti-inflammatory pills) so that it would be easier for me to get around. We had such a good time, and his holiness spoke about it being a human right to have happiness and joyfulness. He talked about how having a calm mind helps to improve the quality of life and your health. It's nice to have the Universe confirm that you are on the right path, doing the right things (even if you were just shaking your fists towards the sky and crying like a baby with colic the night before...lol). I thought about how even on the walk there to the convention center, although it was slow and painful, that I was very grateful to be able to walk. That I am truly grateful for my body. The whole sha-bangy-bang. Having the break in the intensity of pain helped with that; as well as getting out and noticing how I am learning and have improved in taking care of myself. That includes taking my time, letting myself be and know I'll be ok. There's a gracefulness in my self-care/self-compassion that I see developing, and that gives me joy.

It's also nice when people come in your path, like my cousin, who understand the issues and can relate to me. I like to listen to him talk about part of his journey and development. Mainly because I know that the truths and revelations that we receive sometimes are painful to learn in the moment. But they're still worth it, life still has so much to offer if you are open to it (even if you were just shaking your fists at the sky and crying like a baby with colic the night before...lol).

What I'm realizing is that sometimes you gotta just walk through it. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes you cry. Sometimes you shake your fists at the sky. Sometimes you want things to just be different. But, at the end of the day, all these steps lead to where I'm going. Learning to love and care for myself better helps me be a better world citizen. It helps me be a better family member, friend and lover. It helps me be a better me.

No comments:

Post a Comment